Conditional promises in God’s Word
The Word of God is FULL of promises. God is a faithful God who gives so much to His children. There are unlimited resources of blessings in the immutable, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient creator who transcends time and gave Himself to save our souls. This incredible Father is importantly a “father”…meaning He is incredibly responsible, trustworthy & principled. So much so that when He makes a declaration, which by virtue of His being GOD becomes law to us, He subjects His own self to it.
When we read God’s Word, some of us more nonchalant readers quote & claim God’s promises without considering the fact that some of them are conditional… The fact that we actually have a responsibility in order to obtain those promises or blessings. Because God is a good Father teaching us responsibility, He doesn’t always throw blessings at us without our investment of obedience, carefulness, or wisdom. Consider for instance that God is an incredibly wealthy billionaire who can afford to do practically anything he wants for His children. But just because He’s wealthy doesn’t mean He’ll throw money at any irresponsible children He has. They must illustrate their ability to handle the unlimited resources at their disposal by meeting certain curfews, requirements, obeying certain directives given by ‘Dad’ in order to obtain those favors. Being a child of the billionaire is automatic; being an HEIR of the billionaire can be conditional.
Here are a few examples & their alternatives which we must consider if we do not follow the protocol for obtaining those blessings:
1) Mathew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God.”
(Alternative) – Unblessed are those who aren’t peacemakers for they will not be called children of God.
2) 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people who are called by my name shall humble themselves, seek my face, & turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, forgive their sins & heal their land.
(Alternative) – If my people who are called by my name shall NOT humble themselves, NOT seek my face, & DON’T turn from their wicked ways, then will I not hear from heaven, not forgive their sins, & not heal their land.
3) Mathew 6:33 Seek ye first the kingdom of God & His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.
(Alternative) – If you do not seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, all these things won’t just be added unto you.
4) Isaiah 1:19 If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good of the land.
(Alternative) – If you are NOT willing and obedient, you will NOT eat the good of the land.
5) Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me and i will show you great & mighty things which you do not know.
(Alternative) – If you do not call unto me, i will not show you great & mighty things which you do not know.
6) 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful & just to forgive us & cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(Alternative) – If we do NOT confess our sins, He is faithful & just to NOT forgive us and not cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
7) Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him & He will direct your path.
(Alternative) – If you do NOT trust in the Lord with all your heart, choose to lean on your own understanding, in all your ways, DO NOT acknowledge Him, then He will NOT direct your path.
8) Mathew 18:19 Again i say unto you, if any two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything they shall ask, it will be done for them of my Father who is in Heaven.
(Alternative) – Again I say unto you, if two of you shall NOT agree on earth as touching anything they shall ask, it may NOT be done for them of my Father who is in heaven.
Ok… I think you get the picture. Salvation is free, completely God’s responsibility as long as we accept Him. We didn’t have to work for it or do anything. JESUS paid it all and God has done it all. The Lamb who was slain before the foundation of the world has done the finished work of the cross.
But then some of the blessings available to be poured out on those children brought into the Kingdom require responsibility. As children, they need to work and develop the respect for God to receive the benefits of not just entering the kingdom but becoming heirs and inheriting God’s kingdom.
Remain blessed and know Jesus loves you! 🙂